Morning Thoughts

by - 12:22 AM



I had a good night sleep even though I spent probably the first 3o minutes twisting and turning. My best friends and I had one of the most meaningful conversations yesterday evening.

It started when I recommended the book Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less. From there, we had an awesome exchange of ideas of ways to nurture ourselves. It's one of those moments when I realized I have never truly appreciated my friends for who they are. Every time they talk about religious doctrines and stuff, I always feel small and inexperienced but yesterday, I didn't. I read all their messages and I found myself thanking God for their existence. That's not to say I wasn't grateful in the past but I was underappreciating them. And it wasn't until yesterday that I have seen the beauty of having this set of friends. They help me question and eventually improve my spiritual aspect.

I also learned this in Essentialism- you need to distinguish the vital few from the trivial many. I believe faith comes first among everything else. And I have never encountered a more straightforward advice: remove activities (yes, even the good ones) that do not really help or are not aligned to your core purpose. That way you could focus all your time and energy to make that highest contribution- to operate at that point. It's not just liberating but an eye-opening advice I have gotten from an author who really lived his words.

I woke up and still realize I haven't completely removed that instinct to please and impress people but I paused and told myself that it's a process- a gradual one for that matter. So I'm doing just fine.

Committing in this kind of philosophy is gonna be hard for me but I shall make it. I'm gonna pursue it like my life depends on it- because it does.


(March 8, 2017 9:56AM)


You May Also Like

0 Comments