Laid-Back 26

by - 11:45 PM



Growing up, I’ve had the privilege to celebrate my birthdays full of balloons, cakes, sometimes lechon, karaoke, gifts, and whatnots – with people that I love. Although when I reached my teenage years, those material things turned to random midnight surprises, sleepovers, late night talks over chips and pizza and some liquor. I mean I’m not complaining. I’ve always loved a laid-back celebration without having to entertain visitors and become the center of attention for hours.

This year is both the same and different. It’s the same laid-back celebration and nothing fancy. Just me and my friends who decided to spend the day in Alishan National Scenic Area in Chiayi, Taiwan. It was my first time to celebrate my birthday outside the Philippines and away from my family. God has given me the opportunity to pursue my graduate studies in Taiwan and I couldn’t be more grateful. I mean, I’m grateful to be alive at the very least.

Exactly 12 midnight on my birthday, my friends surprised me with a cake from a local store near our dormitory while singing the happy birthday song. For a moment, my homesickness was eased. Thank God for thoughtful friends.

And so earlier that day, we headed to Chiayi which is just adjacent to Tainan where we are staying. It took more or less an hour to arrive at the train station and roughly 2 hours going to Alishan by taxi.

When we arrived, we immediately grabbed some soup at 7/11 to compensate for the cold weather. It was a lot of firsts for me at 26. Not only because it was my first time to ride a forest train or see an actual cherry blossom tree (which were a lot of fun by the way), it’s also because for the first time, I felt completely independent. Not just in the financial sense but more so in the emotional aspect. Like I’m bolder, better and more resilient because I have a God who is far bigger than all my problems combined. You know, those kinds of things you realize when you turn a year older. Hihi.







Anyway, as I was reflecting on my life in between the long walks that we had, I realize what better song that fits this entire drama than Stop This Train by John Mayer. So, I compiled some videos from the trip and put the song as the background. Here’s my amateur attempt at it:


I love this song. I mean, who doesn’t? It talks perfectly about being afraid of getting old. Wanting to stop this train. But then realizing that we’ll never gonna stop this train of life. Because it just moves forward without caring for whether or not we’ve figured out where we want to go. It just takes us and if we are wise, we can use it to our advantage.

Well, here's to more laid-back but purposeful years.

You May Also Like

0 Comments