8 Things I Learned From My Quarter-Life Crisis

by - 2:28 AM


Yes, I have self-diagnosed. And I’ve discovered that…

 1. The discomfort is essential. Perhaps, it was not evident at the time but the discomfort made me non-complacent. It actually pushed me to go beyond my career mediocrity and find the one thing that I’m really good at and work at that point.

2. There’s a way out. But it’s not pretty (depends on your perspective). Sometimes, it won’t even feel like a way out because again, discomfort. You really just have to move forward and take it one step at a time. Having said that…

3. You need to pray for wisdom and clarity. One thing I know is by praying, you're not only pouring out your concerns to God but you're actually allowing His grace to flow through you paving the way to a clearer mind.

4. It’s okay to ask for help. It doesn’t make you weak. But rather it speaks volume about your character. One that is strong enough to say that you can’t do it on your own. Ask advice from your family, friends, mentors and colleagues. In my case, my best friends were (and still are) my support system during this crisis. I remember clearly when I lost it at Cebu IT Park. I was at the peak of the crisis. Haha. But that’s another story.

5. Not everyone will care. So stop telling random people about your plans and expect them to validate your actions. And possibly be discouraged for their indifference. Hashtag recipe for disappointments. But then again, I’m guilty as charged. And I learned this the hard way.

6. Your family is going to be there for you no matter what. I mean, what other choice do they have? Jk. But really, there will definitely be misunderstanding. Lots of it. In my case, my parents wanted me to work in an engineering industry which should be expected of me. After all, I am an engineer. But right now, I’m trying to pursue my almost-buried passion. It took a while to make them fully understand but as of writing, no more cold treatment has been recorded.

7. Most of the pressure you’re feeling is coming from you. And the amount (from the world) that you allowed to enter your mind. Being an achiever (sort of) contributed to the dilemma. And most of the time, I find it hard to forgive myself quickly when I do something awful whether it’s intentional or not. But I find comfort in the fact that God has forgiven me. So I need to brush it all off and get over myself.

8. Resiliency. The strength to pick myself up every time I start to slip back is probably one of the most important takeaways from this experience. Cliché but true.
  
I know we all go through different phases of this crisis. Or different versions of it. Whatever you call it. Some emerged beautifully from it, others are still experiencing it. Perhaps, many people are going through it once or twice. The important thing is we choose to learn from it. Just take your time. 

So there you go. My own fair share of the infamous quarter-life crisis. But you don’t have to take my word for it. :P

You May Also Like

0 Comments