I Wonder

by - 12:01 AM



This is one of those days that I have difficulty in expressing myself in words. My thoughts are stars I can’t fathom into constellations. Phew, finally able to use that line. Thanks, John Green.

Anyway, while my friend and I were waiting for our dinner to be served in Da Vinci, I noticed a teenager just outside the restaurant. He’s around 13-15 years old. He has nothing except a rugged shirt and short pants; and the plastic bag that he was carrying with him. Food, probably. He doesn’t have slippers either. He was begging for some penny and food from the by-passers. And while he was doing this, I was just watching him with an overwhelming realization... boy was I privileged. Privileged enough to be able to go to a school of my choice, to a place where I wanted to kick off my career and whatnot. Usually, I don’t really acknowledge this kind of feeling. Because I don’t want to look at people and pity them and then feel like I’m the luckiest person on the planet. What a wrong notion, I thought. Does that mean that if I see someone who has a better lifestyle than mine, I’d feel shitty about the life that I’m living? And start wishing to have theirs instead? Isn’t the mark of a grateful heart lies on being thankful and contented of your life even though people may have worse or better? Really, I’m just talking to myself for the most part. But I was also thinking if I really have enough, or even more, is there something that I could have given for the less fortunate? Like what? Give them coins? Clothes? Food for today’s consumption? But what about tomorrow? The next day? And the day after that?

Sometimes, I feel like there’s more that I could have done but often times, I feel like there’s none.


(October 22, 2015 8:44PM)

You May Also Like

0 Comments