Detours and Destination

by - 12:03 AM


I remember when I was in Grade 3, it was the first time I acknowledged that I want to be a teacher someday. Perhaps because my mom is an educator herself or the classroom became one of the first and familiar environment that I've been exposed to. Or maybe both. I would ask my mom to bring me small chalkboards and materials to recreate a mini classroom at home. At the time, I thought I was already firm with my decisions- no time for second thoughts. I was halfway through elementary so you need to pull yourself together, I remember telling myself. Just kidding.

So growing up, just like any other human being in this planet, I developed interest in different fields. Once, I pictured myself in police uniform (dad's a retired officer) holding a gun, chasing the goons and investigating crime scenes. I just thought it was cool. Then that interest shifted from one to another. Until in high school (even up to college) when I had a secret obsession with the prefix 'atty.' so I'd scribble my name with it. Oh ghad, how I wished to enroll in law school. I love intelligent arguments, logical and deductive reasoning and everything that has to do with annoying people. I had the proper motivation to become a lawyer, right? Wrong.

Long story short, I was so confused on what I really wanted to become so I decided to be an engineer. Whaaaat?! Yes, I've always loved math but then I discovered, perhaps a bit late, that engineering was more of physics. Man, I hate physics. We do have a love-hate relationship. But eventually I learned to love the subject. Not the entire course, though. You see, I did sign up for electronics engineering because half of our high school class (or maybe even more) were into it. Believe me, ECE was quite a thing in our time. It was hilarious but helpful at the same time to be with the same company of friends as I entered college. I was ready for battle. Or so I thought. 

It wasn't until we started having major subjects that I realized how screwed I was. I kept complaining about everything- passively and actively. I was mediocre and I hated it. Though, I didn't have a failing grade (except a semester-extension for our thesis), I wasn't contented with my performance in school. The disappointments projected in every area of my being if I'm being honest. My once organized self turned into an indecisive version. But to be fair to my efforts and to my parents', I decided to finish the race one last time. I spent 6 excruciating months of review for the board exam. I trained myself to focus only on the matters at hand; refused to entertain negative thoughts and prayed earnestly to achieve that one goal: to pass the board exam.

With the grace of God, I did pass the exam. Don't get me wrong, although I complain (90% of the time) that this profession is not for me, I still feel genuinely grateful for passing. It was after all the result of prayer, persistence and support from my family and friends. It's still one of the defining moments of my career. 

But what comes next?, I asked myself. When the hype came to an end, I had no career goals, no purpose whatsoever. ‘Where do you see yourself in 5 years?' was officially my most hated interview question.. of all time. The only goal I had was to work away from home. Just anywhere but home. Not that I hate home but I wanted to experience working on my own. Have a space of my own, responsibility of my own and of course- freedom in a new place. Little did I know that you could never really save much if you work away from home with just enough income to buy the monthly groceries, pay the monthly rent and all the things included in adulthood. From Cebu, I moved back in (due to another company offer- which turned out to be a misfortune) with a little to no money. Aside from the savings I had in my account, I went home with yet another question in mind as to where I wanted to work. It wasn't even a question of where actually but of what. Funny that with a lot of opportunities in our profession, I couldn't settle for more than 6 months in a workplace. I hated my indecisiveness as much as my parents hated it.

I felt like I was only working in engineering industry because I have to, and that it's gonna be a waste not to work in this arena given I already have the license. So once again, I gave it another shot. I took the offer of the company here in Iligan- even though I was swapped from my original position (related to my profession) to a much lower position (non-related) because of reasons I don't want to reiterate. But I convinced myself that it's okay and that everyone starts from the bottom.

It didn't have to stop there, I thought. While trying my luck in the company, I enrolled in a crash course in professional teaching in IIT (because I don’t want to regret not trying). So after office hours, I would head straight to my night classes. Mind you, it was exhausting and I almost gave up my classes. Bread before head, my classmate once told me. Fortunately, it wasn't a battle between bread and head but rather where I am and where I want to be. I was still privileged enough.

Six months had passed but the idea of teaching in senior high school never left my mind. I have spent the entire year validating myself, gaining the approval of my parents and trying (and failing) to go beyond my career mediocrity. I believe it's about time to brush it all off and pursue what I really want and what God wants me to do. If money won't matter, what would I be doing today? I assessed myself with series of question and every time, I came up with the same answer: teaching.

I was at peace the moment I acknowledged that. And I know some people will never understand at first. By people I mean my mom and dad. Lol. But I know they'll come around once they see how happy I am with my decision- how teaching, among all profession, excites me and makes me want to improve not just my skills but myself in general.

It still is a long way to go. It's not rainbows and butterflies. And I have to step up my game to be able to get that position in the academe. There will be bumps along the road: students who will add stress on a daily basis, paperworks, and co-teachers who won't be of same frequency. There will be struggles in teaching- just like in any other profession for that matter. But at least, I will be struggling in an environment that I love.

Now I know, life will take you to some detours- but all those roads will eventually lead to where your destination is.


You May Also Like

0 Comments