Hearts Are Muscles

by - 12:55 PM



"Hearts are muscles. To build muscle, you have to break down what you have, so it can rebuild itself bigger and stronger."

This line struck me the most as I was reading an article from the web about the difference between codependency and love. I guess because it makes so much sense about life. About growing. Physically and emotionally.

You want to build your biceps and triceps? Exercise. Lift weights. Break down the muscles. Rest. Eat healthy foods. Then your body rebuilds them bigger and stronger. That is if you do it right.

The same is true in love. You give your heart fully to somebody. In worst cases, they give it back broken into pieces. You take those pieces together and let yourself be healed in time. Then you pick yourself up and realize you're a much stronger person.

Have I been watching way too many cliché movies? Perhaps. But one thing I know: pain is essential as it is inevitable. Is there beauty in pain? Maybe. Is there beauty after emerging from a painful experience? Definitely. Like a butterfly that goes through metamorphosis. Or a wife that finally divorces her abusive husband.  Or a mother who went through tough labor and yet when she sees and nurses her newborn child, all the pain becomes bearable.

Just a year ago, I was at my lowest point when I broke up with the person that I once loved the most. If asked a year ago, I would be unable to point the silver lining in that situation. Yet as I was writing this, more than a year after that breakup, I can say that although I could have done better in the past, what I have gained today is so much more. The wisdom, the self-discoveries, and my growing relationship with the Lord.

My heart was once shattered. But like a muscle that broke down, it is now stronger than it has ever been.



You May Also Like

0 Comments