That Was Tough, 2020.

by - 2:51 PM


I guess it’s safe to say that 2020 has been a difficult year — as individuals and as a society for the most part.

Started the year watching fireworks at Taipei 101 with friends from school. Went to nearby tourist spots weeks after that. Then, went back home for about a week. I’d say that week was probably the most jam-packed week by far. There was never a day that I didn’t meet with people or have some important errands in between.

In hindsight, I couldn’t even imagine how I squeezed everything in that week. I spent time with my family, stayed for almost 2 days in a monastery to clear my mind for a while, invested in a real estate, gave another shot into my then failing relationship (and the only thing that reminds me of that encounter was a photo of his hand beside the salad that we bought from the restaurant), visited my university, and other things I couldn’t recall.

I thought I started it right. I had a blast from that Taipei trip. I was able to see my family. My finances were improving. My relationship with my then-boyfriend had a silver lining. We were both convinced we’re going to make it right. The first quarter of the year was a complete turnaround from that 2019 heartbreak.

But then covid happened. It’s as if everything was put on hold. The virus survived more than that relationship. Wow. On top of that, I had to extend for one more semester because my research has been greatly affected by the pandemic.

But that’s just me. Ironically, one major lesson I learned from all of this is: it’s not all about me. It’s not even about me. I learned that we can only control so much. And 2020 had for sure made us realize that we are not in control. We are not invincible.

All of our plans were ruined. We all had to adjust to the new normal. But it was also a year full of realizations, don’t you think? We lost 2 of my uncles. My dad’s brother and his brother-in-law. I wasn’t there to mourn with my family and relatives. It was a tough time. But I guess we all learned to surrender to God what was beyond our control. And to maximize the time to act upon the things we can.

This year has taught us to see what really matters in life — quality relationships, helping others, appreciating what we have, and just being there. Well, maybe not physically but in spirit.

As cliche as it, I hope we can leave the negativity behind. And pack all of those learnings from 2020 and bring them with us in 2021. Holding on to God’s promise in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

You May Also Like

0 Comments