No Owl? No Letter

by - 12:55 PM


When I was in high school, I wrote a letter to JK Rowling. I remember gathering information on her postal address and the means to deliver it but I ended up not sending it. The letter was sleeping in my box for 9 years, together with some forgotten journals, letters, and whatnots.

Looking back, I did not have a single regret over that. Otherwise, I’d never have anything to laugh at these days. It was so innocent (and full of grammatical errors) you’d think an 8-year old kid wrote it.

It was printed on a yellow paper with my unapologetic handwriting.

Get ready for the most cringe-worthy letter you’ll ever read from a naive 15-year old Potterhead.

Dear Ms. JK Rowling,


Greetings with love!

Hi, good day! Hoping this letter will reach you (I just hope I had an owl!). I wish that you’re in a good condition now while reading my letter. I’m not very fluent and good in English so hoping that you’ll understand my message.

I wrote to you because I really, really, really admire you. I’m a Harry Potter addict. I read your books and I really love the way you wrote. I wish I could be like you – very imaginative. As others say, “your imagination is the limit.” I hope this doesn’t irritate you but I’ll say it again – I really, really, really, really, really, really admire you. I love the way you made Harry Potter’s life very realistic. And your spells, I really love it. And the characters!! I love all of them especially the “know-it-all” Hermione Granger. She’s very clever and very intelligent. Uhm… actually we’re a “bit” similar. And I’ll never forget the best headmaster Hogwarts had ever seen – Albus Dumbledore. Well, actually Ms. JK, I really cried when I read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. What will happen to Harry in book 7? (Oh! I haven’t read book 7 yet!! Money shortage!) And if I’ll get a chance to meet and talk to you, 1 day will not be enough for us to “tackle” about HP. But of course, I haven’t got broomstick for me to get to your place. How I wish I had a Firebolt but a Nimbus 2008 will do. It will be an honor for me to meet you but that would be impossible, so as long as this letter will reach in your possession – it is my great pleasure. Ooooops!!! Before I forget, I just wanna say THANK YOU because I was inspired by you. Others say you book doesn’t do good because it’s all about witchcraft and magic but they’re just saying those things because they haven’t got the chance to read it. Or understand it. But either way, I want you to know that I learned a lot from your book. I know I’ll have no chance to meet you and know you better but please give me the chance to describe you – an extraordinary woman with extraordinary talent! The woman behind the famous story of Harry Potter. (I wish there’s book 8, 9, 10, 11, etc.)

And if it’s okay for you, uhm… I’m gonna wait for your reply Ms. JK.

God bless to your family, to your health and to your career!!


Sincerely yours,

Allain Jessel P. Macas, Phil., 15
   
    (Original letter)



Apparently at 15 years old, I was very conscious at my English skills. And if I could have a dollar for every ‘really’ and ‘love’, I’d probably be a millionaire by now.

On a different note, where does this I’m-a-bit-similar-to-Hermione-Granger confidence came from? Or better yet, why is it gone now? ‘Cause I need some of that at this point of my life. Lol.

Seriously, reading past writings is both fun and nostalgic. Not only do you get to see improvements on your grammar and sentence construction, you’re also reminded of your innocence and... your past signature.

But there’s one thing that did not change – I was, am and will always be a Potterhead. 

You May Also Like

0 Comments